The Kodokan Judo Institute（Kodokan）is the origin of Judo that was started by Kano Jigoro Shihan (professor) in 1882 and that has spread in about 200 countries and regions in the world. It is a public interest incorporated foundation and the main aims are the following:
-Studying, teaching, developing, and diffusing Kodokan Judo
-Contributing to the strengthening of both body and mind of Japanese people, especially for juveniles.
The following is the main activities of the Kodokan:
1. Operating the Kodokan School of Judo
2. Organizing conferences of Judo teachers at elementary, junior-high, and high schools to have discussions about sound upbringing of juveniles.
3. Organizing conferences of report and research, about sound upbringing of juveniles through Judo.
4. Having contact with domestic or international Judo organizations and sharing information with them about sound upbringing of juveniles through Judo.
5. Teaching Judo at Dojos of the Kodokan
6. Conducting Judo seminars
7. Conducting research studies about Judo
8. Holding domestic and international Judo competitions
9. Cultivating Judo teachers. Dispatching Judo teachers abroad. Providing seminars to foreign Judo teachers and so on.
10. Editing and publishing Judo-related books and magazines
11. Collecting and displaying Judo-related materials
12. Certifying Kodokan Dan grading of Judo